This was just brought to my attention by an activist friend, Nicholas; its a shell bill at the moment but the title gives me concern…HB1951: PROHIBITING THE POSSESSION AND USE OF A TASER STUN GUN. Here is the current text from Rep. Frederick J. Love (yes I am calling him out):
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS:
SECTION 1. The purpose of this act is to prohibit the possession and use of a taser stun gun.
The Bill text is here
What in the hell is the reasoning behind this? I can understand the reasoning behind a gun ban, but a taser? If someone attacks you the options you have are: comply, run, fight. Fighting back is limited to hand to hand, pepper spray or a ‘legally-carried’ gun, if you want to stay out of jail. Use a knife, go to jail. Use a gun without a permit (unless on your property) go to jail. And if this passes, use a taser, go to jail.
Lets examine this, if you’re attacked you have to be a better fighter (against someone who makes a living attacking others), pepper spray them (which can be fought through, why else would a cop need a taser themselves), or to have a gun handy (but first you have to pay the State Police $144 dollars on top of the cost of required training the law mandates for the permission to carry a handgun.)
Thanks for stacking the deck in the predators favor Rep. Flowers. Who are you representing again? The bad guys or the good ones?
- London police find taser, charge tenant (lfpress.com)
- Would-be robber scared off by Taser (utsandiego.com)
- What to Do When Using A Gun To Defend Yourself Becomes Excessive Force (uscca.wordpress.com)
- Re: Doctor wants Tasers in ER (forum.prisonplanet.com)
- Arkansas Cop Tasers, Kicks and Arrests Teen For Walking Behind His Mother… (truthfultragedy.wordpress.com)