A new Legislative Session has started in Arkansas, bills are being filed, plans are being made; so my attention will be local for awhile. That’s where the real difference is made. We have two gun bills filed already that I know of.
SB71: The Church Protection Act
(16)(A) Any church or other place of worship.
(B) However, this subchapter does not preclude a church or other
place of worship from determining who may carry a concealed handgun into the
church or other place of worship;
The link here. This Bill lifts the churches from the Prohibited Places for Concealed Carry. However it gives the churches the rightful ability to say no if they wish.
TO ALLOW TRAINED AND LICENSED STAFF AND
FACULTY TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN ON A
UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE, OR COMMUNITY COLLEGE
CAMPUS UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
The link to that is here. One small step towards campus carry, who also have the option of saying no. I don’t like Gun-Free zones decided on by government, those who own these places are the ones with the right to decide. It’s the principle of “I own this property and what I do with it is my right so long as no one is physically harmed by me.”
- Faith and Firearms: Concealed Carry in Arkansas Churches (arkansasmatters.com)
- Church Protection Act Proposed in Arkansas Senate (arkansasmatters.com)
- UA Student Proposes Lawful Conceal Carry on Campus (5newsonline.com)
- Arkansas: Two Pro-Gun Bills Introduced In the ‘Natural State’ (calvinistview.com)
- Ark. considers allowing guns in church, on campus (sfgate.com)