Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin says she’ll sign open carry gun measure
Another link here: What Its Like In A Open Carry State
Now in the second article is what some Sheriffs had to say about Open Carry. And my responses to it.
Many of the sheriffs opposed to the open carry law offered these arguments:
- They won’t be able to tell the bad guys from the good guys.
You know I don’t see many bad guys carrying openly, that gets rid of their ‘camouflage’, and element of surprise. When they pull a gun, its to use it or to threaten. In reality that’s the only time a gun is a threat, not when it’s parked in a holster or waistband.
- It will be dangerous for the person openly carrying the gun.
Life is dangerous, however they have a point there. You give up your tactical advantage of surprise. Instead the criminal will either leave you alone, or shoot you from a distance.
- There will be more officer-involved shootings.
How? Anyone with a Concealed Carry permit has been vetted by the F.B.I? All the cops have to worry about are the same assholes they did before.
- There will be more guns stolen because citizens don’t have weapon retention training.
Good point, so get the training. You should have it, and a retention holster anyway.
I have defeated everyone of these arguments but one. And none are a good reason to take an individuals Right of defense away.
- Open Carry Laws Benefit Public Safety (usnews.com)
- Lawmaker: Open carry could confuse cops (koco.com)
- Open Carry Deters Crime (usnews.com)
- In Parts of the Country, Open Carry Hardly Raises an Eyebrow (usnews.com)
- An Armed Society is Truly a Polite Society (usnews.com)
- Should People Be Allowed to Carry Guns Openly? (usnews.com)
- Open Carry Is an Invitation to Chaos (usnews.com)
- Response to: The Perils of Open Carry (hsoi.com)