Your browser does not support iframes.
Perspective on different subjects
What Have I Been Saying
Blogs I Follow
Find My Past Thoughts
- The Bible Speaks wp.me/p59oH0-Z 40 minutes ago
- 3 1/2 more pages and November's chapter will be finished. 7 hours ago
- Good Plans wp.me/p59oH0-X 1 day ago
- A Heart like Jesus? wp.me/p59oH0-V 2 days ago
- Boasting wp.me/s59oH0-boasting 3 days ago
- Lessons learned lately, like the danger of my OCD personality type turning me into a legalistic Christian and the... fb.me/31rbMqtcH 3 days ago
- Two full weeks into the 90 Day Challenge from Immediate Obedience, where I have been following God as... fb.me/7gKsFVfRU 3 days ago
- Practical Lessons From Immediate Obedience wp.me/p19VLV-O7 3 days ago
- Walking In His Way wp.me/p59oH0-Q 4 days ago
- RT @famousquotenet: Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result. - Winston Churchill 4 days ago
- 44,337 views
- October 2014 (4)
- September 2014 (6)
- August 2014 (5)
- July 2014 (6)
- June 2014 (7)
- May 2014 (6)
- April 2014 (5)
- March 2014 (9)
- February 2014 (5)
- January 2014 (10)
- December 2013 (9)
- November 2013 (11)
- October 2013 (5)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (2)
- July 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (13)
- May 2013 (5)
- April 2013 (8)
- March 2013 (17)
- February 2013 (11)
- January 2013 (20)
- December 2012 (8)
- November 2012 (9)
- October 2012 (15)
- September 2012 (21)
- August 2012 (15)
- July 2012 (15)
- June 2012 (7)
- May 2012 (10)
- April 2012 (8)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (20)
- January 2012 (23)
- December 2011 (11)
- November 2011 (24)
- October 2011 (21)
- September 2011 (10)
- August 2011 (13)
- July 2011 (19)
- June 2011 (22)
- May 2011 (22)
- April 2011 (21)
- March 2011 (23)
- February 2011 (20)
- January 2011 (23)
- December 2010 (26)
- November 2010 (24)
- October 2010 (9)
Where are the Wolves At?
- © Vance Gatlin II and Ronin's Journey, 2010-2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Vance Gatlin II and Ronin's Journey with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Category Archives: Local Government
Local Corporatism, Congressional Retirements, Eminent Domain, and Human Trafficking; Just A Small Part of Arkansas Politics
Due to the sheer number of Bills and the limited amount of time, I will only address those that jump at me, such as this bill from the Arkansas House of Representatives. It’s simply a repeal of local government’s engaging in corporatism.
I would like this better if it removed all of the legislators from the Retirement System. It’s a temporary part-time job, no retirement benefits for you.
The best I can understand this bill is that it strips utilities of the power of eminent domain, however the district the utilities are in can condemn and use eminent domain on areas already in use by the utility.
Apparently this is an issue in Arkansas. Who knew? It is something to be dealt with. To keep from overwhelming everyone I’ll cut it off at that and pick up the rest tomorrow.
Senate Bills 65 to 93, School Choice, Improving Education, Capital Punishment, Statute of Limitations for Pedophiles and Active Shooters in Schools
You wouldn’t believe the number of Bills the Arkansas Legislature has filed. I’m screening them as it is, and will have to screen them more to keep up. So without further ado…
- SB65 would make it possible to move your kid to a neighboring school district without moving if you don’t like the district they’re in.
- SB66 would waive some rules and regulations for school districts that meet certain criteria. What is a district of innovation? I’ll let the Bill speak:
District of innovation plan.
(a) A public school district shall develop and submit a district of innovation plan to the Commissioner of Education to become a district of innovation.
(b) A district of innovation plan shall address, without limitation:
(1) The goals and performance targets for the district of innovation, which may include:
(A) Reducing the achievement gap among one (1) or more groups of students by expanding learning experiences for academically low-achieving students;
(B) Increasing student learning through the implementation of highly rigorous standards for student performance;
(C) Increasing student participation at each grade level in curriculum and instructional components within selected schools of innovation;
(D) Increasing the number of college and career ready students; and
(E) Motivating students at each grade level by offering more curriculum choices and student learning opportunities to parents and students in the district of innovation.
- SB73 lays out the chemicals used and how they are used in an execution.
- SB92 deals with the statute of limitations. Previously it was unlimited for murder. Now this will enable you to be charged for any sexual offense with a minor no matter how far back it happened.
- SB 93 is to authorize a study on the best way to deal with an active shooter situation in schools. I’d suggest shoot back, but that’s just me.
|SB65||TO AMEND THE PUBLIC SCHOOL CHOICE ACT OF 1989.||J. Key|
|SB66||TO IMPROVE EDUCATION IN ARKANSAS BY CREATING DISTRICTS OF INNOVATION.||Elliott|
|SB73||AN ACT REGARDING THE ADMINISTRATION AND METHOD OF CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.||Hester|
|SB92||TO AMEND THE LIMITATIONS PERIOD FOR CERTAIN SEX CRIMES INVOLVING MINORS.||Hickey|
|SB93||TO REQUIRE A STUDY OF THE READINESS AND CAPABILITIES OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS FOR PREVENTING AND RESPONDING TO ACTS OF VIOLENCE AGAINST STUDENTS AND SCHOOL PERSONNEL AT SCHOOL.||L. Chesterfield|
Senate Bill 2 to 13; Voter I.D, College Millage Increases, Taxes, Disasters, Sex Offenders and Telling PeTA To Back Off
Now we’ll look at a select few of the Arkansas Senate’s Bills. So far over 150 have been filed.
- SB2 will be a hard fought bill.
(d)(1) Except as provided in subdivision (d)(2) and subsection (e) of this section, any person desiring to vote in this state shall:
(A) Present proof of identity to the election official when appearing to vote in person either early or at the polls on election day; or
(B) When voting by mail, submit with the ballot a copy of a current and valid photo identification or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter.
(2)(A) A person who is a resident of a licensed nursing home, licensed residential care facility, licensed assisted-living facility, or any licensed facility that provides long-term medical or personal care is not required to provide proof of identity before voting.
(B) A person not required to provide proof of identity under subdivision (d)(2)(A) of this section shall provide documentation from the administrator of the facility attesting that the person is a resident of the facility.
And if you don’t have ID it will be noted and you’ll be given a provisional ballot and will be counted when the voter returns to the county board of election commissioners by 12:00 p.m. on the Monday following the election and: Provides proof of identity; or executes an affidavit stating that the voter cannot provide proof of identity because the voter: is indigent; or has a religious objection to being photographed; and the voter has not been challenged or required to vote a provisional ballot for any other reason. Now I like this idea, since I have to show an ID to buy a gun, and politicians send people to war to kill and die all the time, and coerce and threaten violence on the voter and non-voter alike. It’s not something to be taken lightly.
- SB4 deals with special elections for millage increases, with the paperwork provided by the Board of Elections for that county and the college foots the bill for the election.
- SB5 is short. Here:
SECTION 1. Arkansas Code § 26-61-103 is amended to read as follows:
26-61-103. Levy of tax.
There is levied on all timberlands in this state an annual tax of fifteen cents (15¢) twenty cents (20¢) per acre to be collected in the manner provided in under this chapter for deposit into the State Treasury for credit to the State Forestry Fund as special revenues to be used for the maintenance, operation, and improvement of the Arkansas Forestry Commission in its statewide program for the detection, prevention, and suppression of forest fires.
- SB10 is now Act 4 and appropriates $10,000,000.00 for Disaster Assistance Grants.
- SB12 prohibits Level 3 and 4 sex offenders from being around kids at the pool or playground. My question is how would you know?
- SB13 keeps you from being investigated by PeTA or the Humane Society.5-62-128. Improper animal investigation.
(a) A person who is not a certified law enforcement officer who knowingly conducts an investigation, including collection of evidence into alleged claims of criminal conduct involving an animal by another person or entity, or coerces a person to surrender his or her personal property through threat of criminal investigation or prosecution related to alleged claims of criminal conduct involving an animal by another person or entity upon conviction is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) A person who is convicted under this section also shall be liable for a civil penalty of five thousand dollars ($5,000) per incident as well as the loss of any state-issued license to operate.
These were the biggest Bills I wanted to highlight due to the large number of Bills filed now. The Legislature would be out of session by the time I was done.
|SB2||AN ACT TO REQUIRE THAT A VOTER PROVIDE PROOF OF IDENTITY WHEN VOTING AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE ISSUANCE OF A VOTER IDENTIFICATION CARD.||B. King|
|SB4||TO ASSIST COMMUNITY COLLEGES IN ACQUIRING FUNDING FOR CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS; TO SPECIFY THE PROCEDURE FOR INSTITUTING MILLAGE ELECTIONS; TO MAKE TECHNICAL CHANGES TO CLARIFY THE LAW; AND TO DECLARE AN EMERGENCY.||B. Sample|
|SB5||TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR THE ARKANSAS FORESTRY COMMISSION AND TO INCREASE THE TAX LEVIED UNDER THE FOREST FIRE PROTECTION TAX ACT OF 1969.||B. Sample|
|SB10||AN ACT FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION – DISBURSING OFFICER SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATION.||Joint Budget Committee|
|SB12||TO PROHIBIT LEVEL 3 OR LEVEL 4 SEX OFFENDERS FROM BEING AT A SWIMMING AREA OR CHILDREN’S PLAYGROUND CONTAINED WITHIN AN ARKANSAS STATE PARK; AND TO DECLARE AN EMERGENCY.||Irvin|
|SB13||PROVIDING LEGAL PROTECTION TO ANIMAL OWNERS AND THEIR ANIMALS AND TO ENSURE THAT ONLY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES INVESTIGATE CHARGES OF ANIMAL CRUELTY.||J. Hutchinson|
Arkansas House Bills 1032-1044; Unemployment, Guns, Going Green, Abortion, Fluoride, Taxes, Charter Schools, Budget, Eminent Domain and More.
Last bit of looking at the House Bills. As you can see Denny Altes is a busy man. Let’s see what he’s proposing.
- HB1032 would require anyone on unemployment to attend a meeting every two weeks to make sure they looked for work, and their plans for the next two weeks on the job hunt. I have two thoughts on this initially: it’ll cut down on abuse of the unemployment rolls and all those meetings will get expensive.
- HB1033 is another bill on unemployment. This one will require employers to withhold 0.5% of your wages for unemployment. Right now it’s the businesses paying that particular tax.
- HB1034 is a bit vague. Looks like it deals with lobbyists but I am unsure.
- HB1035 I covered here last week.
- HB1036 would force you to use either a paper bag or buy a “green” reusable bag you bring from home, after you bought it from the store.
8-9-704. Single-use carryout bag – Prohibition.
A store shall:
(1) Not provide a single-use carryout bag to a customer; and
(2) Make reusable bags available for purchase by a customer.
As you can imagine I disagree with this. While the reasoning is valid, the execution takes away the freedom of choice.
- HB1037 takes the ban on late-term abortions and moves it up towards in the middle of the second trimester at 20 weeks. This will make for interesting committee hearings.
- HB1038 tackles the issue of flouridiztion. It doesn’t ban it, but allows you to wait until you have money to pay for it, unless you serve a city with a population between eighty thousand (80,000) and less than one hundred thousand (100,000).
- HB1039 exempts from sales and use taxes farms, ranches, poultry houses, etc. within the limits defined in the bill.
- HB1040 takes oversight from the state’s Department of Education over Charter Schools and gives it to the newly formed State Public Charter School Commission. The State Public Charter School Commission is established as an independent state commission with statewide jurisdiction and authority under the Arkansas Quality Public Charter Schools Act of 2013. My question is how soon will this be politicized and charter schools become watered down?
- HB1041 is a step in the right direction as far as the state budget is concerned.
(B) The general revenue expenditures for each fiscal year do not exceed the lesser of the following:
(i) An increase of three percent (3%) over the total general revenue expenditures of all state agencies and institutions of higher education for the previous fiscal year; and
(ii)(a) The average rate of change of the state gross domestic product for the preceding three (3) fiscal years.
- HB1042 deals with eminent domain by only getting private property by coercion for only government agencies, parks, utilities, pipelines and this disturbing tidbit, other common carriers. What’s that? The plus, city hall can’t take your land so a Walmart can be built there.
- HB1043 would give a reward to someone who uncovers substantial waste that can be cut, saving the state money. Maybe they’ll let me keep more of my money since the cuts would be made? I’m not holding my breath.
- HB1044 would reimburse anyone using their private vehicle for state business for 42¢ a mile instead of a percentage.
Whew, I’m done with the House Bills for now. Any of these disturb you?