23 New Laws Bypassing Congress
Yesterday the President laid out 23 decrees aka Executive Orders on Guns. Let’s look at them from this site here
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
That’ll have to be a rewriting of HIPAA by Congress.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
Incentives like Federal Grant money for _________. Yeah, I can see state legislatures whoring out our freedom for money like abusive pimps.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
They’re categories? How does one find out which they’re in and how to get out of it? I can see a tyrannical government abusing the hell out of it, twisting words. Like they’re doing now in fact.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
Their criminal record is enough, you don’t need a credit report.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
Umm, no. More die in car wrecks, so first, background check people’s driving records before selling them a car by that logic.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
Good idea, but not the government’s responsibility.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
The Market can do that. I won’t say “free market”.
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
They’re not doing that now?
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
Not doing that now either? Guess running guns into Mexico takes up all their resources.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
That’s your job Obama! Why are you failing?
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
Most law enforcement is already ahead of you on that. And schools need that, in fact Rob Pincus is ahead of you with that. See here. We don’t need any help.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
Vague. Should I worry?
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
What the bloody hell does the CDC have to do with it? Guns aren’t a disease.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
When did that become the job of a lawyer?
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
“Doc, I have a cold.”
“Are you coughing, sneezing, packing a pistol in a bedroom drawer?”
This will never work, for one reason, you can lie. Second, don’t go to the doctor. On top of that the question is none of their business.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
I’d double-check HIPAA if I were you.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
More of your stolen money for that. The idea is sound, however it’s the school district’s job. They shouldn’t need incentives.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
Like a fire drill? I like that. Here’s my idea of one. Alarm rings, kids and teacher take cover in a fortified closet. Teacher is armed and covering the door.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
If you’ve read my site or book long enough you know that I think at most Medicaid should be tied to Unemployment if it is to exist at all.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
ACA? Get rid of it.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
One thing on mental health, this will possibly scare people in need of help away. Nobody likes to be thought of as crazy.
Its gonna be interesting to say the least.